Questions to Ask a Doula
The following questions will help you decide if a particular Doula is right for you.
For any Doula
- What training have you had? (If a Doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)
- Do you have one or more backup Doulas for times when you are not available? May we meet her/them?
- What is your fee, what does it include and what are your refund policies?
When interviewing a Birth Doula
- Tell me about your experience as a birth Doula.
- What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women and their partners through labor?
- May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me through birth?
- May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
- When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
- Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?
When interviewing a Postpartum Doula
- Tell me about your experience as a postpartum Doula.
- What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
- May we meet to discuss our postpartum needs and the role you will play in supporting us in the postpartum period?
- May we call you with postpartum questions or concerns before the birth?
- When do your services begin after birth?
- What is your experience in breastfeeding support?
- Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test and current CPR certification?